If you have pre-existing audio (like a podcast, interview, etc) or if you prefer to pre-record and edit your audio with advanced software on your desktop, you can always upload audio to your station instead of recording it directly through the mobile app. Meet The Anchor Clipper.
Choosing your audio
On your desktop, go to anchor.fm/clip. (Note that the Clipper is not currently compatible with phones or tablets.) Log in, and you'll see the option to upload an audio file, or pull one in from a URL. You can import audio files up to 90 minutes long.
Supported file types:
If you're using one of these supported kinds of audio and getting an error, check 1) that the audio plays properly on your computer, and 2) that your browser supports the file type.
- ...and anything else that's a valid link to an audio or video file!
Note: the URL feature is intended to help you import audio that *you* own. It's against Anchor's terms of service to upload audio that is copyrighted or belongs to someone else to your station.
Clipping and trimming your audio
Once you've imported your audio, decide which parts of it you'd like to upload to your Anchor station. Some options:
- Clip a specific segment, e.g. if you want to share a highlight from a full-length podcast episode
- Clip multiple segments, e.g. if there are multiple questions you want to include from an interview but you want to remove the parts in between
- Upload the whole thing, e.g. if you want to share either a two minute song or an hour-long piece of audio as is
Each clip you select can only be up to 5 minutes long (because that's the time limit on individual segments in Anchor stations). However, you can select multiple clips from one audio file and upload them all together to your station; if the sections you've selected are right next to each other, they'll play through seamlessly in your Anchor station and anywhere else you play the audio.
(Reminder: if you want to upload the entire piece of audio, regardless of its length, just don't select anything.)
Finalizing and uploading your audio
Once you've selected your clips (or chosen to upload the entire audio file), you'll have the option to add a title to each clip, as well as a background track* for each and a transition between them if you want to add those. Other features:
- Attribution: Include a link to the original source (e.g., your YouTube channel) or the content you're discussing in the segment.
- Schedule for later*: Toggle off the setting that says "publish immediately" and you'll see a calendar appear. Choose a time and date for your post and we'll add it to your station then instead of now.
Click "Publish" and then you're all done! You should immediately see the audio appear in your station, both in the Anchor app and on your web profile.
* Currently, background tracks and scheduling are not available for clips over 5 minutes long.