I suggest you ...

Separate out Episodes and Podcasts to Save Entire Episodes and Focus Podcast Posts

Many are stations are excited to have episodes available so when they're off-air or new listeners visit the profile, they can listen to episodes to understand the station's content and focus.

Currently, all episodes are posted as podcasts but Apple/Spotify music segments and “add to station” segments are not included. My understanding is this is because of music copyrights and rights from other Anchor stations whenever we use "add to station," we cannot have these in our episodes because it will be distributed to the Anchor podcast networks such as iTunes or Google Play.

Would Anchor consider separating episodes and podcasts? Thus, episodes would still contain the "add to station" (old "echoed") segments and Apple /Spotify music segments. This would allow unique Anchor content to remain within the Anchor app on our episodes. Podcasts would be episodes as well but they would not include these copyrighted "add to station" and music segments. Station owners would then push out these episodes as podcasts when uploaded to this separate podcast section.

I think this is a benefit for:

1) Anchor - more reasons for listeners to return to the app for unique episode content),
2) Station broadcasters - able to creatively produce and keep episodes with "add to station" and Apple/Spotify music segments
3) Listeners - more creative content to find at Anchor in episodes when channels are "off air."

Thank you for your kind consideration. - @BarbaraKB Wonders

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

BarbaraKBBarbaraKB shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sylviad1971Sylviad1971 commented  · 

Barbara I totally agree like me I like to save content in episodes so people can listen after the 24 hours because of the time difference but I don't want it to be a podcast perse but unfortunately we have no choice now. Also I would like the ability to turn off the podcast and let it be in episodes on Anchor only. If you set up the podcast you can't stop it anymore

• Greg DicksonGreg Dickson commented  · 

I Think This Could be useful Tool, That Said, I Don’t Listen to Most People’s Music. I Don’t Have Enough Time. I Want to Listen to The People Not The Music, However, People Like Avie Uniglicht Seem to Have an Ability to Find Music That is Contextually Relevant, Therefore I Enjoy His Music Selections

• BarbaraKBBarbaraKB commented  · 

Zvi, in a perfect world, your suggestion might work. But, unfortunately, that's placing a burden on Anchor for permissions for our podcasts. The broadcaster should be the one seeking the permission for a published podcast and I have no problem with Anchor stations needing to take that extra step to get the permission. In fact, my 20 years in digital content marketing have taught me that it's just the right thing to do.

My other point is, my fix is an easy fix. Basically, when someone signs up with Anchor, there is an agreement that what you post at Anchor, stays at Anchor. So, know that your segment could be an "add to station" to another station's episode but you haven't given permission for it to go out to a podcast network. I believe 99% of Anchor users would be understand this scenario because that's how most social networks work.

Of course the other option for Anchor to consider, is stations are allowed to opt-out of the "add to station" feature. Thus, if a station never wants their segments added to another station, they hoose this option. Celebrity and content producers who like controlling their content, may like this option.

As Anchor develops, and we hope they do as a community for audio content, we as a community need to develop further understanding about podcast production and copyright demanded by podcast networks.

• Zvi WeissZvi Weiss commented  · 

Hi Barbara, I'm so glad you took the time to write it down. I would just like to add few tweaks, maybe they are expressed in the write and I missed them or maybe we have a very similar concept with some variations here and there. Anyways, I fully agree that Episodes as they are implemented now (July 3rd, 2017) should allow inclusion of all content in a station not only from the owner and call-ins and not only Active segments, they should allow for inclusion of echoes and music and from my station's Archives as well. I would rename these from being Episodes and call them DVR, which basically allow the station owner to prepare content for "delayed listening".

At the time a DVRed collection of segments, echoes, music, and call-ins are published as Podcast i believe that music should be filtered out, but echoes should be filtered out or allowed to be included based on a "permission" model. Namely, if I grant you a permission to include segments from my station, which would include segment I created on my station, call-ins to my station, as well as echoes to which the originator of the echoed segments gave me "permission" to include in my Podcast (a transitive permission).

• Avie Uniglicht -Your Tech Concierge™Avie Uniglicht -Your Tech Concierge™ commented  · 

Good point Barbara Kolbe Baker. I was hoping too that we could have 2 seperate Episode flows - one that can flow through to our Podcast stream, the other that would remain purely in our Station and NOT be included. Could be something as simple as a "toggle" to choose which we desire to be "published to the Podcast".

Feedback and Knowledge Base